Medium deep crimson. Fresh blackcurrant, plum aromas. With dark chocolate, herb garden notes. Slinky textured wine with blackcurrant pastille, praline notes, fine gravelly tannins and mocha, espresso oak. Finishes chocolaty firm with chocolaty tannin plume.
– Andrew Caillard 88 points
The Nest Merlot 2014 Gimblett Gravels
Single vineyard, super premium, hand selected grapes. Aged in French oak for 18 months. An exceptional wine, huge concentration, a firm structure with intense fruit characteristics. This wine will cellar for up to 20 years!
Awards / Ratings
- Gold – 2016 Hawkes Bay A&P Bayleys Wine Awards
- Silver – 2018 Premium New Zealand Selection
- Silver – 2018 International Wine & Spirit Competition
- Silver – 2017 Hawkes Bay A&P Bayleys Wine Awards
- Silver – 2017 Royal Easter Show Wine Awards
- Bronze – 2018 New Zealand International Wine Show
- Bronze – 2017 Air New Zealand Wine Awards
- Bronze – 2017 International Wine Challenge
This sturdy, surprisingly youthful red is a single-vineyard blend of merlot (86%), malbec (10%) and cabernet franc (4%), matured for 20 months in French oak casks (33% new).
It has bold, bright colour and a fragrant, fresh bouquet, with a hint of herbs. Mouthfilling, with vibrant plum and blackcurrant flavours, showing considerable complexity, it’s well worth cellaring to 2022 onwards.
– Winestate Magazine, 4.5 stars